Saturday, I woke up with lots of energy. So I thought that I should use it to clean our apartment and get it ready for when Alexia would come home. We did all the laundry and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom and then went and bought a play yard for her to sleep in and set it up. I had decided to buy some newborn clothes last week so we washed those and worked on my hospital bag. Then I got tired and decided to take a nap... and my water broke in bed. It was around 4:00 in the after noon. I was shocked. Only 15-20% of women actually have their water brake and I didn't think it would happen to me. Plus it was 2 weeks until my due date. I decided to eat and then we packed up the car and went to the hospital.
They checked me and I wasn't dilated at all! My doctor told me from the start that this was going to be a long labor and that I had a high chance of c-section because my water had broke and I hadn't progressed. So they had me go walk the hospital for 30 minutes at a time and then they kept checking me. After a few hours, I got into a room and hooked up to patocin and some fluids. That first night was a long one. Luckily I was able to sleep. Sean on the other hand was so excited. Plus he was sleeping on the world's worst cot. The labor and delivery rooms are made for overnight usage.
Sunday morning they checked me and I had only dilated to 1 cm! Also, my doctor told me when my water broke some membranes came down and clogged me up. So all night, Alexia had produced more 'water.' So he broke my water again. Sean said it looked like a super soaker squirting. The funny thing is Dr. Allred was in his church clothes. He just rolled up his sleeves. After he broke my water he said that he was glad he tucked his tie in. So, at that point we were basically back at square one. The first night had been a waste! They made me go walk again and then they started me on a low dosage of patocin and work back up.
By the time Sunday evening had come I was in a lot of pain and we weren't getting anywhere! So I got an epidural. I was so ready. I was only dilated to 2 1/2 cm but Dr. Allred knew I had suffered enough. We hoped that the epidural would help me relax so I could progress. It didn't and finally I was told that we would have to do a c-section. At that point Sean and I were glad. Alexia was started to get stressed and the risk for infection was high because I had been in labor over 30 hours. Soon my room was filled with people who wanted to check me and get blood work and hook me up to more machines and medications.
This was the first time I have ever had any sort of surgery preformed. I was a little scared for me but more concerned about my baby. Sean and I shared a family pray right before I went it. I was taken to the operating room first while Sean got suited up. I remember feeling so out of it. I wanted to cry because I was experiencing so many emotions. I felt like I was out of my own body. I was just laying there numb, unable to open my eyes because they lights were so bright and I left alone. I was glad when Sean was finally able to be by my side.
I didn't even realize that they had started the surgery when they pulled her out. She was born at 11:26 pm on July 6th. I remember hearing her first cry and thinking that this couldn't be real. Sean actually looked over the curtain and watched them pull her out (this is amazing because he wouldn't even watch them stick my IV in). Sean said she was so blue and the cord was wrapped around her neck. They took her away as soon as she came out and then brought her back a minute later all bundled up. It is such an indescribable feeling to see your child for the first time. She look perfect. Sean thought she looked like his mom and I thought she looked like an angel. We took a few pictures together and then Sean went off with her to the nursery. She had her first bath and got all her vitals checked. She was 6 lbs 2 oz and 19 inches. Meanwhile I got sewn up and taken to recovery. The whole thing was so hazy to me.
Finally, I made it to our room and was met by Sean and Alexia. She was born hungry and so I fed her as soon as I saw her. It's amazing how natural everything feels. I held her most of that night and just enjoying seeing and touching my precious and perfect baby girl.
They checked me and I wasn't dilated at all! My doctor told me from the start that this was going to be a long labor and that I had a high chance of c-section because my water had broke and I hadn't progressed. So they had me go walk the hospital for 30 minutes at a time and then they kept checking me. After a few hours, I got into a room and hooked up to patocin and some fluids. That first night was a long one. Luckily I was able to sleep. Sean on the other hand was so excited. Plus he was sleeping on the world's worst cot. The labor and delivery rooms are made for overnight usage.
Sunday morning they checked me and I had only dilated to 1 cm! Also, my doctor told me when my water broke some membranes came down and clogged me up. So all night, Alexia had produced more 'water.' So he broke my water again. Sean said it looked like a super soaker squirting. The funny thing is Dr. Allred was in his church clothes. He just rolled up his sleeves. After he broke my water he said that he was glad he tucked his tie in. So, at that point we were basically back at square one. The first night had been a waste! They made me go walk again and then they started me on a low dosage of patocin and work back up.
By the time Sunday evening had come I was in a lot of pain and we weren't getting anywhere! So I got an epidural. I was so ready. I was only dilated to 2 1/2 cm but Dr. Allred knew I had suffered enough. We hoped that the epidural would help me relax so I could progress. It didn't and finally I was told that we would have to do a c-section. At that point Sean and I were glad. Alexia was started to get stressed and the risk for infection was high because I had been in labor over 30 hours. Soon my room was filled with people who wanted to check me and get blood work and hook me up to more machines and medications.
This was the first time I have ever had any sort of surgery preformed. I was a little scared for me but more concerned about my baby. Sean and I shared a family pray right before I went it. I was taken to the operating room first while Sean got suited up. I remember feeling so out of it. I wanted to cry because I was experiencing so many emotions. I felt like I was out of my own body. I was just laying there numb, unable to open my eyes because they lights were so bright and I left alone. I was glad when Sean was finally able to be by my side.
I didn't even realize that they had started the surgery when they pulled her out. She was born at 11:26 pm on July 6th. I remember hearing her first cry and thinking that this couldn't be real. Sean actually looked over the curtain and watched them pull her out (this is amazing because he wouldn't even watch them stick my IV in). Sean said she was so blue and the cord was wrapped around her neck. They took her away as soon as she came out and then brought her back a minute later all bundled up. It is such an indescribable feeling to see your child for the first time. She look perfect. Sean thought she looked like his mom and I thought she looked like an angel. We took a few pictures together and then Sean went off with her to the nursery. She had her first bath and got all her vitals checked. She was 6 lbs 2 oz and 19 inches. Meanwhile I got sewn up and taken to recovery. The whole thing was so hazy to me.
Finally, I made it to our room and was met by Sean and Alexia. She was born hungry and so I fed her as soon as I saw her. It's amazing how natural everything feels. I held her most of that night and just enjoying seeing and touching my precious and perfect baby girl.
3 comments:
Congratulations Sam! She is perfect...
What a scary birth story! I'm glad that you are all safe and sound with no harm done. Welcome to the c-section club.
David and I are so excited for you! There is absolutely nothing more incredible than having a baby. Just like you said, she fills the home with so much love. I can't wait to hear all the fun stories that come with having a little one! We love you guys and congratulations again! Alexia is gorgeous.
WAY TO GO SAM! You had a baby, can you believe it? Crazy and so much fun. It goes by so fast so take lots of pictures. I am amazed how much my Carter has changed in just 4 months. Yeah for being a mom!
Post a Comment